We hope that everyone has had a wonderful holiday season this year! Sorry that we’ve been MIA the past week; we had several Christmas celebrations and then traveled to our grandparent’s house for Christmas Eve and day. In total non-Charissa/Elysia style we did not go all out for our meals for Christmas this year due to time and travel constraints. We ended up making homemade pizza for one celebration and co-op-bought oat-pecan burgers for another. We did make our Pumpkin Bisque and some cookies though! Don’t get me wrong, we ate a lot of delicious food, it just wasn’t as extravagant as we usually like to make it. Overall we had a magnificent time and were happy to see our family members this weekend, as well as spend time with each other. How has your Holiday celebrating gone this year?
I have a recipe for you that isn’t holiday related and which I stole inspiration for (again) from eating out. This time I didn’t order the sandwich myself but thought it would be fun to veganize!
This sandwich is comfort food to the max so serve it alongside a green leafy salad to balance it out. The sandwich itself has a big slice of ‘vegan brie cheez’ from Veg Kitchen which can seem daunting to make, but is really very easy!
The leftover ‘cheez’ tastes good on crackers or vegetables or when eaten with a fork. I’ve never actually had real Brie so I don’t know if this tastes like the real thing but either way it is delicious. If you don’t want to make the cheez you could probably sub Daiya or another vegan alternative as well.
Also, although there are several different steps to the construction of this sandwich, it really is worth each step. The saltiness of the cheese and vegan bacon complement the sweetness of the pears and cherry mustard sauce, which really brings it together.
Cherry Mustard Sauce
This makes a small amount of sauce; enough for a couple of sandwiches. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to make a little extra.
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries, halved
- 1 tsp. cherry concentrate
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard seeds
- 1 T. Silken Tofu
– Thaw cherries and blend all ingredients in a small food processor/blender or with an immersion blender.
Vegan Brie and Balsamic Pear Sandwich
- A Thick Slice of Vegan ‘Brie Cheeze’
- 4 Tempeh Bacon Slices
- 1/2 of a large pear, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper, optional
- 2 slices bread
– In a heated pan, add the balsamic vinegar and basil and bring to a boil.
– Lower the heat to medium-low, add the pear slices and bell pepper and cook until soft, stirring occassionally.
– Saute the tempeh bacon until brown and then assemble your sandwich by adding the cheez, tempeh, pear slices, bell pepper and cherry mustard.
– Enjoy! (try not to drool)